Artichoke, Asparagus, Aubergine, Beetroot, Chicory, Chillies, Elderflowers, Lettuce, Marrow, New Potatoes, Peas, Peppers, Radishes, Rhubarb, Rocket, Samphire, Sorrel, Spinach, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Strawberries, Watercress.
Aubergine and chick-pea satay curry
- 2 large aubergines
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium sized red chilli, finely slices
- 1 stick of lemon grass, finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 400ml coconut milk
- 200g chickpeas, washed and drained
- 100g spinach
- 400g Basmati rice
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Pre - heat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan) gas mark 7
- Either cut each aubergine into quarters length-ways and arrange in the roasting tray or dice into approximately 2 cm chunks and spread evenly in the roasting tray.
- Drizzle over two tablespoons of olive oil and rub into all the nooks and crannies. Do the same with a little salt and pepper on all sides, then roast for 30-40 minutes until soft.
- While the aubergines are roasting, make the sauce. Heat four tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Once it’s hot, fry the onions, garlic, chillies, lemongrass, ginger and stir regularly.
- When the onions are translucent add the turmeric and garam masala and fry for a further minute on a high heat stirring regularly.
- Stir in the tamarind and peanut butter, followed by the coconut milk and the washed and drained chickpeas, mixing it in as you go to create a sauce. Bring to the simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the sauce, gently stir and take off the heat.
- Now is the time to start putting the water on to boil for the rice. Follow the recommended instructions on your packet.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, pour the sauce all over the aubergines, making sure some of it goes inside all crevices of the aubergine, then pop back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, take the aubergines out of the oven and sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!