What is in season in June?
Asparagus, Aubergine, Beetroot, Blackcurrants, Broad Beans, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cherries, Chicory, Chillies, Courgettes, Cucumber, Elderflowers, Gooseberries, Lettuce, Marrow, New Potatoes, Peas, Peppers, Radishes, Raspberries, Redcurrants, Rhubarb, Rocket, Runner Beans, Samphire, Sorrel, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Strawberries, Summer Squash, Swiss Chard, Tayberries, Turnips, Watercress.
Aubergine, Courgette, Radicchio and Halloumi Antipasto
Serves 4 as a starter or side dish
- 1 large aubergine, sliced approximately 5mm thick at a slight angle
slice after the marinade is made so they don’t turn brown
- 2 large courgettes, sliced lengthwise approximately 4mm thick
- 1 radicchio, cut into 6 so the root holds the leaves together
- 225g block of halloumi, sliced into 9
- Handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- zest of one lemon
For the marinade:
- 7 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbs red wine vinegar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp fresh thyme picked and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- ¼ tsp rock salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl until it is fully mixed. Add the aubergine and courgettes and gently mix until they all have a shine of marinade covering all of them. Allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Lay the aubergines on the griddle pan for approximately 2 minutes then turn them 45° and cook for a further 2 so they have two char lines (as pictured). Turn them over and repeat the process on the other side. After you’ve cooked all the aubergines follow the same process for the courgettes.
- Carefully wipe the griddle pan before grilling the radicchio wedges. Grill on both sides until they have wilted. Return all the grilled vegetables to the bowl with the remaining marinade and mix gently.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a high heat. Fry halloumi slices on both sides for about 2 minutes until golden.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter or bowl draining any marinade to use later. Tear the halloumi slices in half and lay them on top. Add the lemon zest to the remaining marinade and brush over the halloumi. Sprinkle the roughly chopped basil evenly over the top. Serve and enjoy!