In season: Apples, Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Celeriac, Chicory, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Leeks, Mushrooms, Onions, Parsnips, Pears, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Squash, Swedes.
Korean Turkey Meatballs with Asian Style Brussels Sprouts
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter
For the Asian Style Sauce
- 90g hoisin sauce
- 10g BBQ sauce
- 10ml low sodium soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tsp finely grated or pureed ginger
- ½ tsp rice vinegar
For the Brussels Sprouts
- 400g brussels sprouts peeled and halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
For the Meatballs
- 400g ground turkey mince
- 30g panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 30g spring onion finely sliced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soya sauce
- spring onions finely sliced
- coriander leaves picked
- sesame seeds
Pre-heat the oven 180°C/gas mark 6
For the Asian Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine evenly. Set aside until meatballs and brussels sprouts are cooked
For the Brussel Sprouts
- Take the outer leaves off the brussels sprouts and cut each brussels sprout in half through the root.
- In a bowl, gently combine the brussels sprouts with oil and salt.
- Lay the brussels sprouts on a baking tray with baking parchment or a silicone sheet, arranging the brussels sprouts so they are a single layer on the tray.
- Put to one side and prepare the meatballs
For the Meatballs
- In a large mixing bowl mix the turkey, breadcrumbs, garlic, spring onions, egg, sesame oil and soya sauce until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Portion out 12 meatballs (working with slightly wet hands helps) and shape into evenly shaped balls. Place the meatballs on a baking tray using baking parchment or silicone sheet.
- Bake the meatball and brussels sprouts at 180 °C for 15 - 20 minutes or until fully cooked. After 10 minutes turn both the meatballs and brussels sprouts so they cook evenly and have a golden even colour
- Once both the meatballs and brussels sprouts are cooked, serve immediately by either placing in a large serving bowl and gently toss together. Or place an even amount on a plate in a circle.
- Drizzle the Asian sauce over the meatballs and brussels sprouts.
- To garnish, sprinkle with the spring onions, coriander leaves and sesame seeds