Some spooky, curious and gruesome facts about the wildlife that visit our houses and gardens ...
- A group of crows is called a murder.
- House flies vomit and poo continuously.
- Dragonflies are the deadliest hunters in the animal kingdom.
- Harvestman can lose a leg in order to escape predators.
- A ladybird eats as many as 5,000 aphids in its lifetime.
- Mice and rats’ incisor teeth never stop growing.
- The fen raft spider can grow as big as a rat (largest spider in Britain).
- A cockroach can live for weeks without its head.
- Honey bees have hair on their eyeballs.
- Devil’s coach horse squirts a foul-smelling fluid from its abdomen when threatened. Beware – this beetle can also give a painful bite.
- Voodoo wasps turn caterpillars into their zombie bodyguards.(Glad they don’t live in UK)
Encourage more friendly fiends and sow some of our natural wildflowers.